Saturday, February 16, 2013

Healthy Oatmeal Bread


I am a big fan of healthy snacking. So I often tweak bread and cake recipes  from the Pro's to make them healthier. Here's  a healthier version of Vonda's Oatmeal cake recipe I found at the Central Market. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour and less sugar than the original recipe.  And I just add chopped walnuts to all my breads even if the original recipe does not call for it, that's how much I love walnuts!

So here's the recipe. Enjoy!!

1. Soak 1 cup rolled oats in 1 1/4 cups of boiling water. Add 1/2 cup melted margarine. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes, or until it cools down.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups wheat flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking soda,  1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 beaten eggs.
3. Mix oats from step 1 in dry mixture from step 2.
4. Add chopped walnuts and raisins/sweetened dry cranberries to the bread mix.
5. Pour in a 9 inch X 5 inch greased baking pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or as they say 'until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean' in a 350F hot oven.

Wait for it cool down to room temperature before you dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment